1Each of you should use whatever gift you received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace…Peter 4:10
By Gary Ramsey, Helping Hands
My desire to work with the Helping Hands mission outreach began in September of 2008 when hurricane Ike roared through Galveston and East Texas. Shortly after the storm, a group of men from KUMC dedicated their time and talents to the repair of a parsonage in the Beaumont area. They traveled to the site a couple of days a week for what seemed like a very long time to repair the home. From my viewpoint, those men were the ultimate servants.
I believe the Holy Spirit came into my heart at that time and planted a seed. I began to feel that I wanted to be one of those guys. I wanted to help, although, I felt bad that I did not have the time to serve yet.
I never lost the desire to serve the Kingwood area in the KUMC Helping Hands organization and now I have the time. If they need a hand, I am here for them. I had the very basic carpentry skills, but I had conﬁdence that the men involved in the program would be willing to take me by the hand and teach me what was needed. That’s what I love about this ministry; not just one helping hand, but many joining together in service.
How might the Holy Spirit be leading you to lend a helping hand? My prayer for you is that you ﬁnd a way to serve others, and make that service a priority in your life. If you like the idea of work which involves heat in the summer, wearing sawdust home from time to time, and working with appreciative clients all for the Glory of God, we would like to have you join Helping Hands!
- Helping Hands can meet the needs both spoken and unspoken of our clients.
- God will guide us to find “a way” to meet the need of those that call.
Did you know?
- Helping Hands is always confidential
- No job is too small for Helping Hands
- Helping Hands serves beyond Kingwood and welcomes referrals
- No experience is required to be a Helping Hand
Contact for support:
- Kingwood United Methodist Church, 281-358-2137
- Marc Flach, Helping Hands Church Coordinator 281-360-0147 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
See previous posts of the Mission’s Lenten Journey:
Next Week: Aleluya Mission of Hope, Piedras Negras Mexico