Sunday, May 22nd, 2022
This Week's Scripture
1 John 5:1-5
Faith in the Incarnate Son of God
Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well. This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.
Never take your word of truth from my mouth,
for I have put my hope in your laws.
I will always obey your law,
for ever and ever.
I will walk about in freedom,
for I have sought out your precepts.
Prayer Points for the week of May 22nd, 2022
- Lord, help us to love You enough to be obedient to Your laws knowing that our obedience enables us to thrive in the freedom of Your love. 1 John 5:1-5; Psalm 119:43-45
- Heavenly Father, with thankfulness and praise, we lift up prayers for our pastors. Renew their strength and continue to guide them for Your name’s sake. Psalm 23:1-3
- Holy Father, continue to pour out Your favor on the Confirmands, drawing them close so they may know the fullness of You-Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Ephesians 3:14-21
- Sovereign God, we pray against any bitterness and unforgiveness, and ask You to release Your mercy and forgiveness through all the Delegates at the Texas Annual Conference (May 29-June 1)
- Lord, we pray for unity in our church, Kingwood UMC. We pray that our traditional, contemporary, Spanish, youth, and children’s worship spaces are Kingdom-minded places where people of different races, ethnicities, backgrounds, abilities, and socio-economic statuses feel valued. We pray for all who enter our doors, that they would find a Jesus who meets them right where they are, just as they are. We pray that we, as the church body, would be good stewards of Jesus’ example. Ephesians 4:11-13; Philippians 2:2-3
- The church is preparing a mission trip on June 30 to aid Ukrainian Refugees crossing the border to Moldova. We are partnering with a church planting pastor in Moldova to serve and help support the thousands of refugees that have taken up temporary residence in Moldova. If you are interested in learning more about these efforts and our planned trip, join us today in MU127 just off the commons immediately following 9:30 and 11:00am worship.
- Following worship on May 22 in E200, the big room upstairs, we will be having a meeting about anyone interested in discipleship bands. Discipleship Bands are small groups of 3-5 people of the same gender. These groups are about authenticity before God and one another, real accountability, and rich prayer for one another. If you’re interested in a group or want to meet others interested in this type of group, please come on May 22 immediately following church. I’m your contact for Discipleship Bands. If you can email me soon to let me know you’re coming, we’ll have lunch for you. We want to make sure we have enough food for those in attendance and make it easy for you to attend.
- In the past several years, the KUMC Endowment Committee has sponsored workshops, providing information regarding estate planning essentials, including an overview of critical documents and the importance of having a current and properly prepared will. Join us on May 24 for our latest event on estate planning. It could make a real difference in your understanding of preparing and maintaining an estate plan appropriate for your particular situation. There will be a workshop fee of $10 per person or couple, including a copy of the Estate Planning workbook. Please let Kelly at the church office know if you plan to attend on Tuesday, May 24 at 6:30 pm.
- Save the date: On July 30, your KUMC Chancel Choir will be singing the national anthem at the Houston Astros game! Leaders in the choir are working with the Astros to provide a block of tickets for you to purchase. More information will follow soon. Let’s plan to make this a KUMC day at Minute Maid Park on July 30!
- On Tuesday, May 31 at 7:00 pm, Jeremy will be ordained as an Elder in the United Methodist Church at the Hilton-Americas. It is a beautiful and memorable service, and everyone is welcome to attend. The service will be streamed online, too. We will also have a special reception in the commons for Jeremy on Sunday, June 5, before and after the 11:00 service. Join us for cake and punch.
Join us on social