Thank you for taking the time to read, learn, and gather information as you pray about the future of our church. This particular page aims to provide resources and links for you as we discern which denominational path to follow as a church. Don’t forget to check back weekly, as the information will be updated along the journey.
Posted Thursday, June 23rd, 2022
WHY STAY UMC? The United Methodist core tenets, “Articles of Religion,” and “Confession of Faith” will continue as protected under the UMC Constitution. We believe in a “Big Tent” approach where diversity of thought and ideas help cultivate and strengthen our relationship to God and one another. Remaining in the UMC will allow us to love others where they are and enhance our mission to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
We Believe in Staying United: We believe there is more power to reach the world for Jesus Christ by staying together and continuing the journey with the United Methodist denomination
We Believe in Biblical Authority: We believe in the authority and primacy of Holy Scripture, interpreted through the lenses of tradition, reason, and experience. We believe that the core of Scripture is love, what John Wesley called the “royal law” and Jesus called the sum of all the law and prophets. We believe the issues regarding human sexuality are a matter of interpretation, not Biblical authority.
We Believe in Being Compatible With Others: “We may not all agree, but we agree on the things that matter the most to us. We are going to follow Christ, we are going to seek to make disciples. We are going to love God and love our neighbor. We are going to live an evangelical gospel inviting people to faith in Christ and a social gospel trying to live out our faith in the world.”
- Walking Together in Faith while Disagreeing (video)
- Diverse & Still United: A Conversation with Adam Hamilton and John Stephens (video)
We Believe in The United Methodist Church: Confession of Faith, Articles of Religion, the Book of Discipline
The links and documents here are intended to inform all regarding what the Global Methodist Church will look like and help with the decision we all are making regarding which denominational affiliation provides the best place to serve Christ. This information will be updated periodically in the months ahead as we get closer to our decision time.
Differences that Divide: Rev. Rob Renfroe has posted six videos on YouTube that address the issues that are dividing us. Here are the titles of the videos.
- The UMC is Divided and Dividing
- Our Differences Regarding the Bible
- Our Differences Regarding Jesus
- Our Differences Regarding Sexuality
- Why It’s Time for Traditionalists to Leave
- Where Should We Go?
The videos can be accessed at Differences that Divide
Posted Tuesday, June 21st, 2022
- GM Church introduction (pdf) – This document is available on the GMC website in PowerPoint format and provides a straightforward overview of the denomination’s mission, core beliefs, ministry priorities, and structure.
- Global Methodist Church (website) – A comprehensive repository of information about the GMC including the Transitional Book of Doctrines & Discipline, Judicial Practices & Procedures Rules, Transitional Leadership Team, and much more.
- Wesleyan Covenant Association (website) – The Wesleyan Covenant Association (WCA) connects Spirit-ﬁlled, orthodox churches, clergy, and laity who hold to Wesleyan theology. It is an association of individuals and congregations who share a common understanding of our Wesleyan doctrine and a desire to become a vibrant, faithful, growing 21st century church. Website includes useful updates and articles relevant to the season in which we find ourselves.